As the world opens up, many are contemplating travel again, but are unsure how to navigate all of the new requirements instituted by countries and airlines alike. We can ensure you that Pristine Trails cares tremendously about the health and safety of our travelers and is ready to welcome you when you are ready to travel.
The Government of Tanzania has released a new travel advisory update, effective as of 19 September 2021. Below are the most important points for tourists entering Tanzania –
- All travelers entering Tanzania are required to present a negative COVID-19 RT-PCR test result taken at most 96 hours before your departure to Tanzania.
- Arriving passengers will be subjected to additional health screening, including a mandatory rapid test administered at the airport.
- For travelers who require a PCR or rapid test for re-entry to your home countries, the updated costs are as follows:
- Mainland Tanzania: PCR test = $50 USD // Rapid Test = $10 USD.
- Zanzibar Archipelago (including Pemba Island): PCR test = $80 USD // Rapid Test = $25 USD.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Is Tanzania open for travel?
Yes, Tanzania is open to tourists.
Does Tanzania have a quarantine rule?
For most travelers, there is no quarantine rule. However for travelers with a positive result on their on-arrival rapid test, there is a mandatory self-imposed quarantine for 14 days or until a negative PCR test result is obtained.
What is required of me before I travel to Tanzania?
- All travelers to Tanzania are required to present a negative PCR test collected within 96 hours of your departure. The only tests permitted are the Real Time Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) and Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT).
- Arriving passengers will be screened and required to take a rapid test upon arrival for the cost of $10 USD on Mainland Tanzania and $25 in Zanzibar. Travelers are advised to pay for this online through the respective health form (see below).
- All travelers must complete a Travelers Health Surveillance Form – Mainland Tanzania Form and Zanzibar Form – within 24 hours of arrival. Upon completion, travelers will receive a code that is to be presented to officials at the airport upon arrival.
What is Pristine Trails doing to keep me safe during my trip?
Pristine Trails is diligent about your health and safety, instituting measures to protect you and our staff. Please read through our full set of operating procedures. We also encourage our guests to be prepared with your own masks and sanitizer and to be mindful of the recommended preventative measures, such as hand washing, distancing when possible, masking in crowded areas, sanitizing, etc.
What else should I know?
First, please review your home country’s specific requirements for re-entry after your trip. All countries have different requirements for testing and they are changing often.
Second, regularly check with your flight carrier for their terms and conditions and the requirements for all countries along your journey, including countries through which you will transit. Pristine Trails will not be responsible for guests who are not permitted to travel due to failure to comply with travel requirements.
Can I get a Covid-19 test in Tanzania before returning home?
Yes. Tanzania’s Ministry of Health has designated testing sites at health centers and mobile clinics in major towns and cities (such as Moshi, Arusha, Dar es Salaam, Zanzibar and Pemba) and within reach of major tourist attractions. The test most widely available is the RT-PCR test.
The base cost of the test is $50 USD on mainland Tanzania and $80 USD in Zanzibar and Pemba. At some of the private clinics, there can be up to an additional $50 charged.
To schedule a test, appointments must be made online through the relevant ministry portal up to 2 weeks and no later than 4 days before sample collection. The results will be accessible within 48 hours via email and on the same portal.
Our staff will assist you in determining which date and testing center is most convenient for your itinerary and will assist in completing the online booking form and making your payment ahead of time.
What if I am fully vaccinated?
As of the writing of this post, travelers who have been vaccinated for COVID-19 are not exempt from any of the requirements listed above.